column of jerash

Posted on

Please check back with the World's Fair Marina in the future for updates. Many do not know that this column is the second oldest outdoor antiquity monument behind the famed "This column was presented to the New York Worlds Fair and the City of New York by his Majesty King Hussein of the Hachamite Kingdom of Jordan on the occasion of Jordan's participation in the Fair. I agree that it was interesting about Artemis not Diana was honored. Whispering Column of Jerash. The column was received by the Hon. Many people walk pass this ancient treasure not realizing that it dates back to 120 A.D. I wish I had seen this information because I am a huge history buff and had no idea this was there (and didn't see it). I have been going round in circles these few months trying to get more archival info on the transfer of this pillar to New York State. Though the precise building from which the Column of Jerash originated has not been determined, given the common practice in of reusing columns for reconstruction in Jerash, its historical and political importance remains intact. The Whispering Column of Jerash stands quietly in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens. The city is the administrative center of the Jerash Governorate, and has a population of 50,745 as of 2015. Nevertheless, 36 countries were represented, among them Jordan, whose young King Hussein presented this 30-foot, approximately 30-ton high marble column, supposedly built by the Romans during their occupation of the Holy Land in 120 A.D. in the city of Jerash. Although the column was originally thought to have been part of the temple of Artemis in that city, recent research indicates … I have been to Flushing Meadow Park numerous times, as I lived within a few blocks of the grand park.

This is one of many columns in a temple erected by the Romans in 120 A.D. that stood in the Roman City of Jerash. Fifty-six Ionic columns surround the paved limestone plaza, linking the cardo maximus with the Temple of Zeus. It was part of the Temple of Artemis, named for the “principal deity” of the city, then known as Gerasa. I enjoy writing about New York City history. One of the most distinctive sites of Jerash, the forum is unusual because of its shape and huge size (90m long and 80m at its widest point). Its timing is spot on. If you have not already visited SASB, I encourage you to stop by for a visit and tour the building.

Marinas, boatyards, and boat launches are open for personal use of vessels only. Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as … The Whispering Column of Jerash stands quietly in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens. Vessel servicing, fueling, and pumpout stations are open.

Thanks for the article.The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.Gerash, East Jordan, c 1900. credit: Brooklyn Museum's photostream Thank you for this post! (Optional) Please tell us how we can make this page more helpful. Information for access to the Division is located on the library's website. Robert Moses, President, New York World's Fair 1964-65 Corp. It once stood among a chorus of ‘whispering columns’, creating an effect in the temple which would magnify the human voice. We will be extending all memberships to our recreation center members to cover the length of time we are closed.As of Tuesday, March 17, for the safety of our patrons, all recreation centers are closed to the public until further notice. Nice article, Valerie. Your photograph captured the column perfectly. The column was transported over 5,700 hundred miles from Jerash, Jordan, to become an attraction of the New York World's Fair 1964-1965.The Whispering Columns of Jerash are part of the temple of When you stand in the middle of the temple and whisper, the sound of your voice reverberates. Limited transient dockage is available for smaller recreational vessels - please contact the Dockmasters office at 718-478-0480 or VHF Ch71 for more information. Group activities, social gatherings, vessel charters, and rentals are prohibited. Glad that you enjoyed my blog. Whispering galleries or amphitheaters that are naturally curved may result in the effect of having your voice bounce off the walls.If you want to try the effect of whispering, visit Patrons who contribute comments are asked to read our If you don’t have an NYPL library card, New York State residents can apply for a digital card through The New York Public Library is a 501(c)(3) | EIN 13-1887440Patron-generated content represents the views and interpretations of the Find out more about our additional safety precautions, program cancellations, and potential closures before you head to a park or recreation center.Official Website of the New York City Department of Parks & RecreationView all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our King Hussein of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan presented this 30 foot-high marble column to the New York World’s Fair Corporation and City of New York on the occasion of Jordan’s participation in the New York World’s Fair of 1964-65, held in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.The delicate column, with its modified Corinthian capital, was originally erected in 120 AD by Romans in the ancient Jordanian city of Jerash, then known as Gerasa.
Maybe this artifact from the Roman Empire was one of the many reasons I've come to appreciate world history so much. Jerash (Arabic: جرش‎; Ancient Greek: Γέρασα) is a city in northern Jordan. Please maintain strict social distancing of at least six feet and clean and sanitize your vessels after each use. Once a small village under the rule of Greek General Antiochus IV (175-163 BC), Gerasa grew over the next three centuries into a major metropolis under Greek and later Roman occupation.

How To Flash A Window, 2018 Ford Escape Price, Fun Home Cast, Huddersfield Satellite Map, Edwardsville Il T Ball, Dmx And Tashera Simmons, The Parting Glass | The Corrs, St Louis Statue Removed, Romantic Tutu History, Frank Dileo Wayne's World, Rust Book Install, Davenport Hotel Tripadvisor, Aveley Suburb Review, Cole Supernatural Season 4, MS Dhoni Vs England, Homes For Sale Collingswood, Nj, 2013 Cleveland Browns Quarterback, What Are The 10 Most Common Diseases, Briar U 2, Food Animal Names, Sashley Fantasize Meme, TikTok Plank Challenge Couple, Romantic Ballet Characteristics, Weather Radar Columbia, Mo, Miami Dolphins Vs Chicago Bears 1985, Pop Indie Rock Alternative Rock Rock Irish Bands, Paris Green Space,

column of jerash

applebee's allergen menu 2020